· Introduction to different types of heat effects in thermodynamics
· Sensible heat and heat capacity
o Constant-volume heat capacity
o Constant-pressure heat capacity
o The temperature dependency of the heat capacity
· Latent heat
o Introduction to different types of latent heat
o Latent heat calculations and estimations.
· Standard heat of reaction
o Calculation using standard heat of formations
· Example of Heat effects of industrial reactions
It is expected that students will have the ability to:
· Differentiate the different types of heat effects and their importance in chemical engineering.
· Calculate the enthalpy change for ideal fluids at any given conditions
· Construct the hypothetical path for enthalpy change calculations.
· Calculate the heat transfer to/from the system that involves in the physical or chemical processes.
· Apply the enthalpy calculation in the energy balance for open and closed systems.